Before we begin sharing with you about this topic, let us give you a better understanding of both practises.
Know that both Qurban and Aqiqah are Sunnah Muaqaddah – meaning it is highly encouraged to practise as Rasulullah SAW practiced it but not compulsory. It was done for his grandsons as narrated by many hadiths for Aqiqah and for Qurban the story of Prophet Ibrahim a.s and Prophet Ismail a.s.
According to the Shafii’ school of jurispudence for those who can afford it and it is makruh (objectionable) not to perform it.
According to the Hanafi school of jurisprudence, it is made compulsory for one that can afford it for Qurban.
Here in Singapore, we take reference from Imam Shafii’ school of thought.
So what is the requirement for both practices?
– Performed only ONCE in a LIFETIME.
– Performed when one is born in this world. (Usually the parents will pay for it)
– Best to perform 7,14 or 21 days after he/she is born.
– If parents can afford it (before the child reaches puberty (baligh))
– After puberty one can do it by themselves once they can afford it
– It is encourage to do this if you are a new Convert to Islam.
– Can be performed all year round. No restrictions to timing.
– Can be performed every year.
– Must be done during the 10, 11, 12 and 13 Zulhijjah of the Hijri Calendar
– One must be able to afford the Sacrifice.
To make it simple, one needs to be able to have the financial means to perform the Ibadah. Second, take note of the time restrictions. Qurban can only be done in the 4 days as mentioned above.
Now back to the question – Ibadah Qurban or Aqiqah first?
We would like you to check with your parents or your elders (if your parents are no longer around), if they have done Aqiqah for you first.
And the answer is…
As Aqiqah is only done once in a lifetime, perform Aqiqah first if you have not done so and perform Qurban after year after year. If you can afford it, do both in the same year.
We hope this article clarifies this popular question.
If you wish to perform Aqiqah and Qurban, scroll down to the footer below, to find our contact details.